In honor of my cornbread dressing Sunday, I wanted to share a FREEBIE from the maker of my family's favorite cornbread mix - JIFFY.
GO HERE to get a FREE cookbook from JIFFY!
Happy Sunday from,
Also, here is the Cornbread Dressing Recipe that I use:
Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Jiffy Cornbread Mix - 2 pkgs.
- Butter or oil -- 2-3 tablespoons
- Onion, chopped -- 1 Cup
- Celery, chopped -- 2 Cups
- Poultry Seasoning or sage -- 1 tablespoon
- Chicken or turkey stock -- 2 cups or 2 cans chicken broth
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- Eggs, beaten -- 2-3 each
- 3 cups bread crumbs (or 1 bag Herb Stuffing Mix and delete the poultry seasoning and/or sage)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- Make a double batch of Jiffy Mix Cornbread. When the cornbread has cooled , crumbled in large pan or bowl. Then add bread crumbs to cornbread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat the butter or oil in a skillet. Saute the onions & celery until the onions are translucent ~ not browned.
- Add the following ingredients to the sauteed celery & onions: broth/stock and soups. Heat & stir until well blended. Add salt, pepper, & poultry seasoning. Turn off heat. Beat eggs in he milk and slowly add to the soup mixture; stirring to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Pour the soup mixture over the cornbread and bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly, until the dry ingredients are moistened. The stuffing should now be moist but not soggy. If it seems too dry, stir in a little more stock. If it is too wet, add more breadcrumbs.
- Pour out the stuffing into a large, buttered baking dish and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the stuffing is cooked through and browned on the top. ****You can turn this into a one dish meal by added cooked, diced chicken for a Chicken & Dressing Casserole.